Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

Well I find myself sitting on the couch watching Fireworks on TV. At the moment I am watching the Boston Pops Fireworks and you know what I am rather enjoying sitting at home and not burning up money. My husband and I have been sitting here talking and you know we love the idea of personal fireworks being illegal. I know that is so not 4th of July, but hey it works in California. So many people around here burn themselves or their houses and it would just be safer and cheaper for all involved if they were illegal. Also there are lots of places that do big shows and We live not far from Ft Vancouver if you really want a huge show, but even that is on TV. I think that like most holidays things have become too commercial. People break the law left and right to have the biggest and the best fireworks. Is that really what we have come to as a county?

What happened to celebrating freedom and the true meaning behind our country? America was founded for the right to make our own choices and to decide things for ourself. That does not mean we need to forget common sense. Then again most as I watch the Sing along with Boston Pops most people don't even know the words to the songs that illustrate our history. American history is fraught with trials and lessons for us to learn and how many people forget the true meaning of this day? My 10 year old sister looked at me and said "what do you mean no fireworks, that is what we do today" It is sad to me that is the only thing most people think of.

So take some time to remember and find a story that touches you about the importance of this day.
Search Amazon.com for american history books


1 comment: