Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The adventures in Shots

So with my precious little girl turning 1 last week we had to venture out to the doctor for her shots and physical. Wow what an adventure. We were running late due to some serious GERD and my poor baby needed a full bath. So in route we called the office and got told the next patient is here we will shuffle it around just come in we will see you. Well we get to the clinic and nope they can't see us, the message was never delivered to the doctor who was sitting in the back waiting for us. UGH. Well after much discussion and shuffling they had an 11:40am appt (2 hours later) so we had to come up with something to do so she could been seen cause I was not going home and coming back. By the time we get seen you would never guess she had been sick earlier in the day. she was active and running and kept trying to play with the doctor. Well then it was time for the dreaded shots. Now our old clinic would bring in a book and a rubber ducky for the kids to keep but to help distract them. We love our new clinic but no such thing. Anyway the nurse walks in an immediately the munchkin goes running for mom. We place her on the table and the click of the needled cap coming off an she was screaming. The needle had not even hit yet. Man I thought at this age they were not suppose to know this. I guess this is what I get for having miss smartypants. Four shots later my poor little girl is just broken, She is sobbing in mommy's arms and just jell-o. Daddy is a wreck he hates seeing his little girl hurt so remind me to leave him home on shot day. He probably would have lost it if he had gone alone. Well I get her some Tylenol. Again the old clinic offered it and brought it in and used the flavor to distract the kid. As much as I love this clinic (I went there as a kid) and it is soooo much closer to home..maybe we need to switch back...Never mind the thought I am not taking 4 hours to go to a doctors appointment. Anyway So we got home and had a great nap time mommy included. We had the typical low grade fever all evening and she had no appetite. I assured daddy that it was normal and okay. Well 11pm we have a night terror our first in weeks, 1am we wake up to projectile vomit and a sad little girl who is scared and does not understand what is happening. This was way different from her GERD, which she normally does not even register.We have a middle of the night bath since the diaper is up the back and down the legs too. Back to bed we go. All is okay with some coughs and whines during the night but no more major issues. We stir at 7am and just want to snuggle with our stuff puppy and now we are sleeping again. WOW I sure hate Shot days. But they are no necessary especially in our life. We have a little friend with CF and we have to do everything we can to keep him from getting sick. That even includes getting all the shots whether we want them or not. So on to my Rant for the week, get your kids vaccinated. You never know when they might come in contact with a little kid like our friend. The childhood illnesses are deadly even to normal kids think what you might do if you inadvertently expose a kid who is struggling to say alive already. Yes I will be the first to say I don't agree with Vaccines and that If I could i would avoid many of them. But I am not so selfish as to take another mother's child from her because I think I know better than Medicine. God gave these doctors, men and women even parents like us, the gift to find these cures and prevent so many children from dying. That is the miracle. We just have to realize that it is a miracle and not some waste of time.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment